- 19 (Registered)
Data security concepts is an advanced course that focuses on one of the most important and critically needed skill areas in information assurance and networking: network security. It builds upon an introductory course on the fundamentals of networking, TCP/IP and internet, to investigate the concepts and practices for securing networks and network communications. The Data Security course also leverages key information assurance concepts and practices such as encryption, authentication, risk analysis, security policy design and implementation, etc.
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills to begin supporting network security within an organization. Students who complete this course will be able to identify security threats and vulnerabilities, and help respond to and recover from security incidents.
On completion of this course students should be able to:
- Explain how to secure information.
- Identify and counteract social engineering exploits.
- Identify and solve security issues with the network of an organization.
- Create a process to maintain file security.
- Design policies to guard against security breaches.
- Create measures to prevent attacks on an organization’s network.
Textbooks and References
- Weaver. R., (2007). Guide to network defense and countermeasures (2nded.). Boston, MA: Thomson Course Technology.
- Simpson, M. (2006). Hands-on ethical hacking and network Defense. Boston, MA: Thomson Course Technology.
- Howlett, T. (2004). Open source security tools: A practical guide to security applications. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Harris, S., Harper, A., Eagle, C., & Ness, J. (2005). Gray hat hacking: The ethical hacker’s handbook. McGraw Hill Osborne Media.
1. Securing Information
2. Counteracting Social Engineering Exploits
3. Identifying Security Measures
4. Maintaining File Security
5. Guarding Against Attacks
6. Handling Security Breaches
7. Network Defense
- Lesson 1 – Network Defense Fundamentals
- Lesson 2 – Security policy Design & implementation
- Lesson 3 – Network Traffic signatures
- Lesson 4 – Firewalls-Designing and choosing
- Lesson 5 – Firewalls-Deploying and operating
- Lesson 6 – Intrusion Detection systems (IDS)
- Lesson 7 – Intrusion Detection and Incident Response
- Lesson 8 – Virtual Private Network (VPN) Concepts
- Lesson 9 – VPN Implementation