- 5 (Registered)
It is necessary for all ICT professionals to work with both computer hardware and software, so they must be able to differentiate between them if they are to troubleshoot and solve problems that arise in personal computers, as problems that occur will either be hardware or software related. This course provides the fundamental knowledge of hardware and software that the ICT professionals will need to hone and apply on the job. Through this course, students should develop the skills and knowledge that are required to install, upgrade, maintain, and solve issues that are related to hardware and software failures.
This course provides students with opportunities to learn about the components of the computer’s hardware. It allows them to learn about inner components of the computer system, their location and functions. It teaches students about advanced computing concepts, such as types and role of applications, programming languages, other computer-related systems.
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Describe the essential components in a computer system.
- Demonstrate how data is process by a personal computer.
- Differentiate between software application, utility and operating system.
- Install and configure a variety of software and operating systems.
- Install utility software and describe how it is used to manage the security of a computer system.
- Describe the structure of different software and operating systems.
- Describe the system unit components, registry, cmos and bios
- Explain the role of the central processing unit, monitor and keyboard and mouse in functions of the computer system.
- Initiate the process of booting
- Explain the concept of ergonomics and state its role in the field of computer science.
- Install device drivers.
- Set-up and restore a registry
- Customize a start up menu
1. Essential Components of the Computer System Unit:
- Lesson 1 – The case
- Lesson 2 – Electronic circuitry
- Lesson 3 – The power supply
- Lesson 4 – Motherboard
- Lesson 5 – Hard drive
- Lesson 6 – Floppy disk drive
- Lesson 7 – CD-ROM drive
- Lesson 8 – Disk controller
- Lesson 9 – Input/output ports
- Lesson 10 – Video adapter
- Lesson 11 – Sound board
- Lesson 12 – Input devices
- Lesson 13 – The central processing unit (CPU)
- Lesson 14 – Memory
- Lesson 15 – Output devices
- Lesson 16 – Storage devices
2. Types of Computer Software:
3. Principles of Data Processing:
4. Fundamentals of Memory and Storage Devices:
5. Introduction to Computer Systems Administration:
6. Computer Communications Channels and Equipment.
7. How to Purchase, Install, and Maintain a Computer, an operating system and computer applications.
8. Fundamentals of Ergonomics
9. Principles Computer Systems Data Back up
10. Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP)