- 61 (Registered)
The mass production of computers and constant reduction in their cost has given more people access to computer technology in their homes, schools and places of work. The prevalence of computer communication hardware in developed and developing societies have given far more people access to powerful computers, in the form of desktops, laptops, handhelds, and notebooks, than was the case a decade ago. Yet, the myth surrounding the complexity of the matter of programming has kept many brilliant Caribbean scholars from pursuing programming as a business. Hence, Caribbean nationals remain more interested in being end-users rather than developers of computer programs.
This course seeks to change the skills set of the Caribbean Associate degree graduate by providing all ICT majors with the building blocks of problem solving and programming in C++. It provides the right instructional conditions to develop, in students, programming skills that will enable them to create original computer programs that are solutions to problems that are unique to us in the Caribbean.
The course content challenges students to use their natural talents and creative powers to apply more imagination to the problems that exist among Caribbean societies. Thus, we hope that knowledge that is gained from this course will not only stimulate the student’s interest in pursuing a career in programming, but provide adequate foundational skills that enable those who choose to do additional programming courses to master them, and those who choose to pursue program development as a career to be exceptional creative programmers.
This course introduces the fundamentals of computer programming and problem solving. It provides basic instructions on the process of problem solving, and deep exploration of fundamental computer-related problem solving techniques such as flowcharting, pseudo code and algorithms. It introduces students to the syntax of the C++ programming language, and provides them with opportunities to use this language to generate solutions to real organisational and societal problems.
On completion of this course students should be able to:
- Describe the basic control structures in C++
- Apply the principles of flowcharting to the software develop cycle.
- Create pseudo codes for real life problems and use to develop algorithms.
- Use abstraction to create Computer Software in an efficient manner.
- Analyze the features of one high level language to determine its constructs and program structure.
- Describe data types and structures for computer representation.
- Evaluate the functions and subroutines that are embedded in the C++ programming a language
- Write a simple program in C++ and use it to make decisions.
- Explain Event Driven Programming and Object Oriented Programming methods.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
To facilitate fulfilment of the requirements of this course lesson will utilise the following methods:
- Instructor Presentations
- Group and Individual Projects
- Lab Work
- Coursework (60%)
- Programming Assignment [20 marks]
- Programming Project [40 mark]
- Examination (40%)
|Task / Assignment No. & Name||Due Date||Time||Weight||Type||Learning Outcomes|
|1. Assignment||Oct. 7th||10am||20%||Class Work||1,2|
|2. Practical||Nov. 4th||10am||20%||Project||3,4|
|3. Oral Presentation||Nov. 21st||10am||20%||Presentation||5,6|
|4. Mid Term||Nov. 28th||10am||20%||Test||7,8,9|
|5. Final Exam||December||40%||Individual||1 – 9|
Nb: Dates are subjected to be changed.
TEXTBOOKS AND REFERENCES
- Farrell, J. (2014). Programming Logic and Design, Introductory. Eight edition.
- Zak, D. (2012). An introduction to programming with C++. Custom seventh (7) edition, Course Technology.
- Zak, D. (2010). An Introduction to Programming with C++. Sixth (6) edition.
1. An Overview of Programming Technologies:
2. Introduction to programming language-independent analysis and the problem-solving process.
SECTION A. Assignment
3. Fundamentals of Programming Languages:
4. Programming languages
5. Programming in C ++:
SECTION B. Practical
6. Basic Control Structures of C++
SECTION C. Oral Presentation
While repetition structure:
- Protected: Chapter 05
- Protected: Chapter 06
- Protected: Chapter 07
- Protected: Chapter 08
- Protected: Chapter 09
- Protected: Chapter 10
- Protected: i. Increment and decrement operators
- Protected: ii. Logical operators
- Protected: iii. Functions
- Protected: iv. Arrays
- Protected: v. Pointers and strings
- Protected: v. Classes and data attributes
- Protected: vi. Operator overloading
- Protected: vii. Inheritance
7. Assignment operators
8. Logical operators
SECTION D. Mid Term
9. Structured Programming Summary
12. Pointers and strings
13. Classes and data abstractions
- Protected: Chapter 11
- Protected: Chapter 12
- Protected: Chapter 13
- Protected: Chapter 14
- Protected: Chapter 15
- Protected: Chapter 16
- Protected: Chapter 17
- Protected: Chapter 18
- Protected: Chapter 19
- Protected: • Creating a structure
- Protected: • Setting structure members
- Protected: • Printing structure
- Protected: • Utility functions
- Protected: • Constructors and default arguments
SECTION E. Final Exam
Completed. Am not a fan of programming but the information was relayed well and was interesting.
this course explained programming so well for me! I feel confident in my programming skills!!
I can say with full assurance that this has been a journey to remember. This course has tested my faith and in doing so has taught me to gain a deeper appreciation for programming on a whole. It has also taught me that nothing is to challenging to overcome, I must also commend the lecturer for assembling such an in depth lesson plan.
The content in this course is very in depth and has taught me much. With the knowledge learnt I now can solve over thousands of algorithmic problems.This course had sparked my interest in the world of programming and I cannot wait to further my knowledge. A very awesome course indeed.
What an amazing course. I along with others thought that programming was extremely hard and not worth doing, though this course makes extremely easy for me to comprehend programming, especially with C++. The lessons are filled with content, so much that one can even say it is too much, but too much is never enough. This course really made me know the fundamentals and even a bit further than basics of programming. I feel like i can write programs and sell them to different business now. This is the feeling i want to receive when finish college. Splendid Course.