SECTION 1: COMPUTER FUNDAMENTALS AND INFORMATION PROCESSING GENERALOBJECTIVES On completion of this Section, students should: 1. develop an understanding of the fundamental hardware and software components and the interrelationship among them; 2. develop expertise in evaluating computer systems; and, 3. develop an understanding of basic information processing principles.
- 1. Explain the concept of Information Technology
- 2. Distinguish among the major types of computer systems in terms of processing speed, storage and portability
- 3. Explain the functions of the major hardware components of a computer system
- 4. Explain how the major hardware components of a computer system interrelate
- 5. Evaluate the relative merits of cloud storage and local storage
- 6. Select appropriate input/output devices to meet the needs of specified applications
- 7. Explain the role of the different types of software in computer operation
- 8. Discuss the relative merits of the various types of user interface
- 9. evaluate the suitability of a given computer system for a specific purpose;
- System specification assessment
- 10. Troubleshoot basic computer hardware problems
INFORMATION PROCESSING FUNDAMENTALS
- 11. Distinguish between data and information
- 12. Evaluate the reliability of information obtained from online sources
- 13. differentiate between validation and verification of data;
- 14. identify appropriate validation and verification checks given a particular scenario; and,
- 15. select appropriate file organization for particular application.
SECTION 2: COMPUTER NETWORKS AND WEB TECHNOLOGIES GENERALOBJECTIVES On completion of this Section, students should develop an awareness of: 1. basic networking concepts, including mobile networks; and, 2. Internet and Web Technology concepts.
SECTION 3: SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY (ICT) GENERALOBJECTIVES On completion of this Section, students should be able to: 1. develop an understanding of the various elements of computer security, and data misuse and the impact on individuals and organizations; 2. maintain safe and secure computing environments; and, 3. assess the impact of technological advancements on different fields, disciplines and jobs.
IMPACT ON JOB SKILLS AND CAREERS