- 37 (Registered)
This course is meant for ICT students just entering the Information Communication Technology major and interested students from other disciplines. It will give you a broad overview of different areas of computer science. This will enable you to get an idea of the types of issues studied, and the skills required, in the rest of your ICT curriculum.
This course is an introduction to the fundamental concepts of computing, data arrangement, management, programming and problem solving. It focuses on basic computing, hardware and software, operating systems, storage, files, security, simple data types, control structures, and introduction to array and string data structures and algorithms, as well as debugging techniques and the social implications of computing. It emphasizes good software engineering principles and developing fundamental programming skills in the context of a language that sports the object-oriented paradigm. The lab component provides hands on programming experience that is vital for beginning programmers and computer science students.
On completion if this courses the student should be able to:
- Explain basic computing concepts, principles and ethics
- Identify and install different computer hardware and software
- Use different operating systems and computer applications to solve business problems
- Create different types of files and use a variety of storage devices to store them.
- Analyse the effects of different viruses and worms.
- Create ways to protect computers and e-mails from virus attacks
- Clean a computer that is infected by a worm or virus
- Create a computer boot disk
- Use and maintain a laptop
- Set-up a computer system
- Describe different kinds of computer programming languages, concepts and functions.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Guided practice
- Individual training
- Case studies,
- Role play
- Subject matter experts
- Individual study
- Study/ field trips
- Case study
Continuous Assessment -20%
Practical Coursework – 40% Theoretical Examination -40%
|Task / Assignment No. & Name||Due Date||Time||Weight||Type||Learning Outcomes|
|1. Assignment||Oct. 1st||8 am||20%||Class Work||1, 2, 3,4|
|2. Case Studies||Oct. 22nd||8 am||20%||Project||5,6,7,8|
|3. Mid Term||Nov. 12th||8 am||20%||Test||9,10,11|
|4. Final Exam||December||40%||Individual||1 – 11|
Nb: Dates are subjected to be changed.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- COMPUTER REPAIRS TOOLS KIT:
- Rosewill 90 Piece Professional Computer Tool Kit Components Other RTK-090 Black
- Rosewill Network/PC Service Tool Components RTK-146 Grey
- NETWORKING TOOL KIT
Syba 50 Piece Computer Network Installation Tool Kit with Multi-Module Cable Tester (SY-ACC65047)
- CUSTOMIZED LABORATORY COAT.
TEXTBOOKS AND REFERENCES
- Mueller, S. (2015). Upgrading and Repairing PCs. Twenty Second (22nd) Edition.
- Zak, D. (2015). An introduction to programming with C++. Custom eight (8) edition, Course Technology.
- C. (2005). Complete Computer Repair Book. Second (2nd) Edition.
- R. (2015) Build Your Own Gaming PC: The step-by-step manual to building the ultimate computer.
- M. (2016). CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Ninth Edition (Exams 220-901 & 220-902)(9th Edition).
- M. (2016). CompTIA Network + Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Exam N10-006)(6th Edition).
1. Basic Computing
2. Computer Hardware and Software
3. Operating Systems
Oral Presentation Assignment
8. General Computing Basics
9. Computer Programming
This course was my second favorite for the semester. Didn’t gave it as much attention so didn’t get to finish reading all the units but read most of it and enjoyed it.
I can truly say that this course has taught me a lot about the history and future of technology, never in my life have I felt more proud to be a part of the human race. I must also commend the lecturer for exposing me to such ingenuity.
I always thought Computer Science would have been a problematic and enduring course. But it was the complete opposite. Filled with exciting lessons, The course was not only packed with tremendous information but also intriguing. The information was displayed in a easy and understandable way for all to learn. This course made me eager to learn more and I am truly grateful
Well... This Course Was A Great Experience. At First , I Wasn't Paying It Much Attention Which Made It Difficult To Keep Track With The Work, But I Made It Through Regardless. Learning More About Computer Science Was What I Longed For. Learned About Computers And Their Ethics, I Didn't Even Know That Computers Had Commandments; Almost Thought What I Was Reading Was The Bible But Thankful For This Course On The Knowledge About The Introduction To Computer Science , Will Use The Information Instilled In Me For Future Use, Thank You.!
This course was very easy and interesting as a first year when I saw that i had to do Computer Science I already had in my mind that I was going to fail but I was wrong. This Course taught me many thing and for instance now I know how to clean my computer from worms and viruses and also I now know how to maintain my computer. What I realised is that this coursed ties in with Fundamentals of Programming and Problem Solving and it helped alot. This course was very nice im looking forward to do the next part of it which is Computer Sciecne in the next semester.